Before you move

One of the most uncertain things about relocating is the hope behind it. Maybe you have seen scenes that spurred your attention to believe that the life you are leaving behind is by far a long shot from perfect. You fantasize about what your new life can be and somehow everything seems perfect on the other side . There are, however, a million and one things that you should consider before packing and leaving for what seems to be the 'greener side of the fence'.

Before you can enter any country whether for a short of long visit you will have to have a visa that classifies you either as a tourist,long-term worker or as a student.If you intend to work and take the family with you, most countries, and Canada is no different, look within there national borders to see if there are qualified citizens that can occupy the vacant positions.This puts most job seekers in a tight and frustrating competition as the likelihood of being considered for a job over a Canadian citizen is one in a million, it just does not happen.

If you intend to be there for a few years of study the regulation requires some financial proof that you are capable of maintaining yourself during your studies. Scholarships are just as competitive and to quality for one requires long research and an excellent school history. The possibility of working is by no means ruled out as students are free to work as long as they obey the weekly work limit established by the Canadian law. Working as a student does not nullify the need for financial assurance and one cannot present this as a legitimate cause to get a student visa. The student visa will be based on a number of factors and financial capability is just one of them

While these two pictures may seem like a grim way to put an end to any fantasy, it is not the full stop that echoes a NO in every corner. Living in Canada is possible, it is difficult to get in, but possible only through legitimate means that will quality you as a legal entrant. Wherever you decide to work you will need adequate documentation that certifies that you are an employee that will be working for some time, if not lifetime, in Canada. Without this you just as well may unpack your suitcases and call it a day. You will also be required to show that you have enough money for six months for yourself and any possible dependents you may carry.

How then will I qualify for moving? As stated before you have to show some documented evidence that qualifies you as getting an arranged employment OR if you are a foreigner that has legally lived in Canada as a temporary worker for one year you may submit your application to be a permanent resident.The same applies to students who have lived in Canada for a year.

Once the application has been submitted there is usually a waiting period for at least 24 months. You will be notified if you application has been successful.If you were successful then upon arriving you will have to show a legitimate passport and declare funds in excess of $10,000, if not declared you could be fined or serve a prison sentence. This really is not the way you want to end your dream.As a permanent resident you will share in all the benefits as legal citizens except in voting and certain security positions.

Moving requires a lot more that just getting aboard a dream boat.You would have had to consider a list of factors before setting sail to Canada. Factors like:

  • The cost of living.
  • Living arrangements
  • Culture and culture shock
  • Health care
  • Funds for emergency
  • Language (if your native language is not French nor English).

Before packing to leave for Toronto or any other Canadian city make sure you have placed all the full stops and commas in your thoughts, this will save you from future headaches.